This is the documentation page for the
Bolted Flange Design module. You'll
find here everything you need to understand how to use our
If you don't really understand how to design a bolted flange
according to ASME BPVC Section VIII Division 1, just read our
How to Design Bolted Flanges .
All the flange drawing shown in the application came from the ASME
BPVC Section VIII Division 1 Appendix, that's why the only way to change it is through the
Dimensions -> Flange Type drop down
list. After selecting the desired type the drawing will
automatically change. The drawing with the real dimensions will only
be shown in the results page but we are trying to implement it in
the input page. If you want to follow all the upcoming changes see
the Development Page
In the future we'll also show the drawing of the gasket, bolt and
top view of the flange as it may help the user to better understand
what is being designed.
All Modules accept two types of units:
Imperial, but we are working in a way
to let the user define his own unit configuration.
The table below shows the units used in each type and can be
selected through the System of Units drop down list.
|Unit ||International ||Imperial|
|Temperature ||°C ||°F|
|Pressure ||MPa ||PSi|
|Length ||mm ||in|
|Density ||kg/cm3 ||lb/in3|
Below is a list of all the available fields in the Module.
- Use Registered Project: if the user
select this checkbox, it'll load all projects created by the user
or shared with him.
- Use Registered Equipment: the same as above, but it'll load all equipment instead.
- Description: brief description of
what you are designing. For example: heat exchanger cover or
flange for inlet nozzle. It'll help you identify which part of the
pressure vessel this calculation belong.
- Project: the user have three
- Use and existent project;
- Create a new project;
- Don't link the module to any project.
- Equipment: the same as above but
- Use and existent equipment;
- Create a new equipment;
- Don't link the module to any equipment.
- Customer: the value in this field
will be used in the
Project Management module
and in the calculation report. The User can left it blank so it
won't be linked to any Customer.
- Report Number: although it says
Number, the user can create any combination of number,
letter and some special characters. Each equipment should have an
- System of Units: our application
supports two unit system:
- International System of Units
- Imperial System of Units
If you don't want to add the Modules to any
Equipment just leave the fields 4, 5,
6 and 7 empty.
- Fluid: the fluid that'll be used in
- Design Temperature: temperature
value that'll be used in the calculation. It's up to the User to
define it. The module support two units:
- °F for Imperial System of Units
- °C for International System of
- Design Pressure: pressure value
that'll be used in the calculation. The User must define it as
well. The module support two units:
- PSi for Imperial System of Units
- MPa for International System of
The Module will show
messages in the results pages when
The version 1.0.0 comes with some
limitations which are listed below:
- Flange with Nut-Stops (2-12) not
- Reverse Flanges (2-13) not
- 3D Model not available.